- Claim forms can be sent in by mail or filed online
- A variety of important dates apply to the settlement
- Settlement Administrator can assist with questions
When it comes to paying for a service no customer likes the idea of paying for “add on” fees or surcharges. Sometimes the idea of paying for these fees becomes so off-putting that a customer base stands up and files a class action lawsuit in response. The Plaintiffs in the Hunters Run Apartments, LTD et al., v. WCA of Alabama, LLC et. al. class action lawsuit allege that WCA charged and collected “fuel surcharges” (sometimes called “energy recovery fees”) and “environmental fees” that were excessive as well as unlawful. In doing so the Plaintiffs claim that WCA breached contracts that some customers entered into and violated state statutory law. WCA, on the other hand, denies doing anything wrong nor has the court found that WCA has done anything wrong. At any rate, both sides have agreed to establish a settlement fund for $5,250,000 that will be used to pay Class Members who submit timely and valid claims.
Some Dates to Remember
- April 17th, 2017 – Date which notice was sent out to the Settlement Class
- May 30th, 2017 – Date by which exclusions and objections must be filed
- June 13th, 2017 – WCA Settlement Final Approval Hearing will be held
- Claim Form Deadline – 75 days after the court’s Final Approval Order
Class Members who want to go about the claim filing process online can do so by visiting the WCA Settlement site and clicking the File a Claim Form tab. Claim Forms can also be sent to the Settlement Administrator using email, regular mail, or fax. The Settlement Administrator can also be contacted by phone with questions regarding the settlement.
WCA Settlement Administrator
- PO Box 3614, Minneapolis, MN 55403-0614
- Phone – 888-238-0485
- Fax – 952-955-4589