Waste Industries Settlement
- Online and mail-in claim filing available
- Administrator can be contacted for help
The average waste services consumer likely gets a little annoyed after seeing that a fee or surcharge has been added onto their bill. Mere annoyance can quickly evolve into something much more drastic if those fees or surcharges are thought to have been excessive and unlawful. The class action lawsuit titled Wild Rides Internet Café, LLC, and Climate Masters Heating & Cooling, LLC v. Waste Industries, LLC has recently come to a pending settlement in hopes to resolve allegations that the Defendant charged and collected “fuel surcharges” and “environmental fees” which were excessive and unlawful. The Plaintiffs claim that by taking such actions the Defendants breached contracts entered into by some customers and violated state statutory law. However, most stories have more than one side and this one appears no different as the Defendants deny all wrongdoing. At this point it does not appear that the court will have to decide in favor of one party over another due to the previously discussed settlement. Those who believe they fit the description of an eligible Class Member can get started with the online claim filing process by going to the Waste Industries Settlement page and tapping the File a Claim Form tab.
Digging Deeper Into the Settlement
- Fees paid must be from March 3rd, 2011 (or other applicable statutory date) to September 15th, 2017
- The total amount of the settlement fund that the Defendant has agreed to establish is $4,875,000.00
- Claim Forms must be filed within 75 days of the Final Approval Order in order to qualify for payment
- Those who wish to opt out must file a request for exclusion prior to the October 19th, 2017 deadline
- The hearing on whether to approve the settlement is currently scheduled for November 2nd, 2017
Those who plan on requesting an exclusion must make sure their correspondence is received no later than the October 19th, 2017 filing deadline. Class Members who plan on filing by mail will need to send a completed claim form directly to the Settlement Administrator. The Settlement Administrator can also be contacted by those with questions regarding the settlement. Those who don’t feel like making a phone call or composing an email can attempt to help themselves by clicking the Frequently Asked Questions tab posted at the Waste Industries Settlement page.
- PO Box 3614, Minneapolis, MN 55403-0614