- Claims can be submitted online
- Important settlement dates apply
- Help available by phone or email
A settlement has recently been agreed upon in the ongoing class action lawsuit titled Sharif Stinson v. The City of New York. After more than 5 years of discovery it appears both parties feel it is in their best interest to finally put an end to the matter and avoid the risks associated with future litigation. Those who believe they are eligible to be compensated by the MASSIVE $75 million settlement can begin the filing of an online claim at the NYPD Summons page. Once at the settlement’s homepage the online filing process can be initiated by clicking the File Your Claim Online tab to enter a Claimant ID and Summons Number (both required items can be found at the top right corner of the Notice received in the mail).
Important Dates Surrounding the NYPD Summons Settlement
- April 24th, 2017 – Exclusion and Objection requests must have been filed by this date
- May 24th, 2017 – The Final Fairness Hearing is to take place at 12:00 PM Eastern Time
- September 9th, 2017 – The deadline by which all claims must be filed (online or by mail)
The pending settlement may resolve claims made by the Plaintiff Class that unconstitutional C Summonses were issued by the NYPD. In order to be an eligible for compensation the summons must have been within the class period of May 25th, 2007 and January 25th, 2017. Out of the $75 million set aside for the Settlement Fund $56.5 million will be used to compensate the class while the other $18.5 million will go towards paying legal fees and costs. Class Members who file an eligible claim(s) may receive up to $150 per summons. Those who have questions about the settlement can get assistance by phone or through email.