Medicredit TCPA Settlement
- Claims can be filed by phone, online, or by mail
- Important filing deadlines apply to the settlement
- A list of available case documents is provided
Consumers tend not to like it when companies can’t take a hint, especially when it comes to receiving collection calls. In fact, when these “hints” go unheeded the end result can be nothing less than a class action lawsuit. A few lawsuits (Martinez v. Medicredit, Inc., Hornberger v. Medicredit Inc., and Verma v. Memorial Healthcare Group, Inc.) have recently come to settlement terms in hopes to resolve allegations that the Defendants violated the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) by making automated and/or pre-recorded collection calls to cell phones even after being told that they were calling the wrong number (hint hint). It should be made clear, however, that the Defendants deny the allegations made in the lawsuits along with any wrongdoing. Rather than battling it out in court, both sides have agreed to settle the case here and now to avoid the risks and costs associated with taking the case all the way to trial. Those who believe they are due a cash payment from the $5 million settlement fund will be able to submit a claim online, over the phone, or by mail (no matter what the filing method, the important thing is getting it filed by the deadline).
A Closer Look at the Medicredit TCPA Settlement
- Notices will be mailed out and claim filing will officially open up on January 29th, 2018
- March 30th, 2018 is the deadline by which claims must be filed (regardless of method)
- Exclusion requests and objections must also be filed by the date of March 30th, 2018
- The Final Approval Hearing is currently scheduled to take place on May 15th, 2018
- Those who do nothing will not receive payment and also give up the rights to sue
Online claims can be filed at the settlement website while over the phone claims can be made by calling the toll-free hotline. Claims being filed by mail will need to be sent directly to the Claims Administrator. Those who want to review the available documents associated with the case can do so by clicking the Case Documents tab at the top right corner of the Medicredit TCPA Settlement page (Settlement Agreement, Preliminary Approval Order, Consolidated Class Action Complaint, and Draft of Notice are now available). It should be noted that there is a possibility of a SECOND distribution if funds left over after paying all claims and additional costs/awards associated with the settlement. Those who are interested in seeing the settlement approved with their own eyes can try attending the Final Fairness Hearing in Saint Louis, MO (always exciting to watch the action go down LIVE in the courthouse).
Final Approval Hearing Address
- 111 South 10th Street, St. Louis, MO 63102