- Help line has been established for questions
- Claims can be filed online or through the mail
Companies should always think twice before making calls to consumers that can be construed (even in the slightest) as a violation of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA). Those that only think once and go ahead and place the calls anyways may sooner or later find themselves wrapped up in an ongoing legal battle. One such lawsuit filed over alleged TCPA violations is called Abante Rooter and Plumbing Inc. v. Birch Communications, Inc, which is now on the verge of being settled for a jaw-dropping $12 MILLION. The suit was filed over allegations that the Defendant violated the TCPA by using automated technology or an artificial or prerecorded voice to call cell phone numbers and/or numbers that were previously registered on the National Do-Not-Call Registry. Birch not only denies any wrongdoing, but also denies that the suit would be certified as a class action in litigation. However, it appears the merits of either side’s arguments will never be ruled upon due to the pending $12 million settlement. Class Members can file a claim by sending in the form that came with the mail notice or by filing online at the Birch TCPA page.
What else should I know about this settlement?
- Payments to eligible Class Members estimated to be anywhere between $100-$200
- Eligible Class Members will receive payments that are divided into 2 different checks
- Deadline to file a claim, request exclusion, or file an objection is August 22nd, 2017
- Hearing to review the fairness of the settlement is scheduled on October 13th, 2017
Class Members who plan on sending in a claim form by mail will need to make sure it’s addressed to PO Box 173039, Milwaukee, WI 53217 and postmarked no later than the August 22nd, 2017 deadline. Those who have unanswered questions may want to review the full notice posted online at the Birch TCPA page. Class Members who can’t find what they need online can try using the help line that has been established for the settlement.
Birch TCPA Settlement Helpline